Dad taught me a lot about life, especially its hard times. I remembered one of his 1 one night when I was ready to quit (退出) a political campaign (运动) I was losing, and wrote about it in my diary.
Tired, feeling the many months of 2 , I went up to my study to make some notes. I was looking for a pencil in the back of my desk drawer when I 3 up one of Dad’s old business cards that he was so proud of: Andrea Cuomo, Italian American Groceries Fine Imported Products. Then I thought about how he 4 with difficult situations. A lot of pictures appeared into my 5 , but one scene came sharply into view. We had just 6 to Holliswood, New York. We had our own house for the first time; it had some land around it, even 7 . One, in particular, was a great blue spruce (云杉) that must have been 40 feet tall.
Less than a week after we moved in, there was a terrible 8 . We came home from the store that night to find the spruce 9 almost totally from the ground and thrown onto the street. When my brother Frankie and I saw the spruce, our hearts 10 . But not Dad’s.
The rain was 11 . Then he announced, “OK, we’re going to push him up!” “What are you talking about, Dad? The roots are out of the ground!” “Shut up, we’re going to push him up, he’s going to 12 again.” We couldn’t say 13 to him. So we followed him into the house and we got what rope there was and we 14 the rope around the top of the tree that 15 on the street, and he stood up by the house, with me 16 on the rope and Frankie in the street in the rain, helping to 17 up the great blue spruce. In no time at all, we had it standing up straight again! Dad drove stakes (桩) in the ground, tied rope from the 18 to the stakes, and said, “Don’t worry, he’s going to grow again …”
I looked at the 19 and wanted to cry, I couldn’t 20 to got back into the campaign.
1. A. classes B. lecture C. lessons D. talks
2. A. struggle B. working C. battle D. defence
3. A. turned B. took C. came D. picked
4. A. kept B. worked C. dealt D. helped
5. A. heart B. mind C. head D. book
6. A. came B. left C. got D. moved
7. A. yard B. field C. flowers D. trees
8. A. storm B. rain C. snow D. wind
9. A. pushed B. pulled C. put D. struck
10. A. fell B. rose C. sank D. dropped
11. A. stopping B. falling C. coming D. going
12. A. stand B. plant C. die D. grow
13. A. no B. yes C. it D. nothing
14. A. made B. gave C. tied D. kept
15. A. put B. left C. placed D. lay
16. A. pulling B. pushing C. holding D. fixing
17. A. take B. put C. p
ull D. push
18. A. leaves B. roots C. trunk D. branches
19. A. picture B. card C. tree D. rain
20. A. wait B. stop C. leave D. stay
参考答案：1~5 CAACB 6~10 DDABC 11~15 BDACD 16~20 ADCBA