The United States is full of automobiles(机动车) .There are still many families without cars. But some families have two or 1 more. However, cars are used for 2 than pleasure. They are a 3 part of life.
Cars are 4 for business. They are driven to offices and factories by workers who have no 5 way to get to their jobs. When salesmen are sent to 6 parts of the city, they have to drive in order to carry their products. Farmers have to drive into the city in order to get home.
Sometimes small children must be driven to 7 . In some cities school buses are used only when children live more than a mile from the school. When the children are 8 young to walk that far, their mothers take 9 to drive them to school One 10 drives on Mondays, taking her children and the neighbours children as well. Another mother drives on Tuesdays, another on Wednesdays, and so on. This is called forming a car pool. Men also form car pools, with three or four men taking turns driving to the place 11 they work.
More car pools should be formed in order to put 12 motorcars on the road and to use less 13 . Parking is a great problem, and so is the traffic in and around cities. 14 many cars are being driven,. Something will have to be done 15 the use of cars.
1. A. even B. much C. little D. such
2. A. better B. less C. more D. farther
3. A. great B. necessary C. proper D. possible
4. A. bought B. used C. produced D. sold
5. A. other B. long C. short D. easy
6. A. busy B. some C. many D. different
7. A. cities B. school C. park D. gardens
8. A. quite B. very C. too D. so
9. A. money B. time C. pride D. turns
10. A. mother B. child C. way D. car
11.A. where B. that C. while D. when
12. A. more B. fewer C. many D. less
13. A. time B. space C. energy D. oil
14. A. So B. Even C. Very D. Such
15. A. on B. for C. from D. about